Climate Action Provincial Assemblies (CAPA)
Last CAPA was Saturday September 16th, stay tuned for the next one, date TBD
Let’s Come Together to Build Solidarity!
On September 16th, 2023 WE-CAN held another Climate Action Provincial Assembly (CAPA). This assembly was focused on building solidarity amongst climate activists and intersecting movements for justice, knowing that climate is inseperable to racism, housing, colonialism and other issues.
After a Land Acknowledgement and Welcome, the event started by hearing from Climate Justice advocate, movement builder and artist Anjali Appadurai. Anjali spoke about the importance of intersectionality and building solidarity between movements for justice.
The remainder of the CAPA consisted of Break-Out Groups focused on building solidarity in six realms:
- Labour and the Climate Crisis
- Poverty and Housing in the Climate Crisis
- Climate and Racial Justice
- Climate and Indigenous Justice
- Faith and the Climate Crisis
- Stopping Fossil Fuel Finance
Each group began with short presentations by activists for change, followed by a facilitated discussion to seek specific ways in which we could support each other. Once we all came back together, there was a report-back from each group followed by a closing.
What is a CAPA?
The Climate Action Provincial Assemblies are a participatory forum where leading members of BC’s climate action groups meet together to develop mutually supportive plans for the future. We intend that the Assembly will meet three times a year.
WE-CAN’s four CAPA’s have been an opportunity for fellow climate activists and members of climate groups to meet each other, learn about current campaigns, and work together to make our campaigns stronger and more effective. The last CAPA in April, 2023 included two rounds of Breakout Groups on 14 climate campaigns and initiatives. We hope the CAPAs provide the hope and connection that is so needed in this moment, as well as the practical space to coordinate and scheme for what’s next.
WE-CAN Has Two Requests for Our Members:
- Can you choose 1-3 or more people to attend the assemblies and report back? In this way we can build a democratic assembly and share the work together.
- Would a member of your group be willing to join WE-CAN’s CAPA Planning Team? If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org